Several years ago I downloaded the Day one journal app and used it for a little while but like all journals I ever kept I stopped using after awhile simply because I wasn’t disciplined enough.
Over the years the Day One App got multiple updates and like all apps it when to the free model with paid subscription upgrades. I decided I wanted to try again to keep a journal because my kids are growing fast and I want a place I can keep memories of events and everyday little tidbits to remember.
After using the free version for a few weeks I signed up last week for the one week free trial so I could add more than one photo at a time, upload videos but mostly because I wanted to upload voice recordings.
Writing a journal is a good way to get your thoughts down but recording a conversation with your children is priceless because when they grow up you’ll forget how they sounded when life was simple for them. And so I’ve been steadily recording things like them reading a book from school or telling me about their day and what they want off Santa.
Today I received a reminder from apple that my free tiral is almost up and so I have decided to continue my membership monthly for a few reasons but mainly because I don’t know if keeping a journal is something I will continue to do daily that I currently do and re-subscribing is easy to do if I ever choose to cancel. Day One works on IPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch and Android.
The price for a year subscription is £32.99 and whilst some may think that’s high, for a life time of memories it’s less than a cup of coffee every month. There are apps that choose a subscription model just because they want to keep making money but this app has had several updates that the developers rightly deserve to be paid for.
LIFE-ENRICHING BENEFITS: Reap the rewards of your consistency:
• On This Day flashbacks and Nearby entries
• On-the-spot memory enhancement
• Book printing
PRESERVE EVERY MOMENT
There’s no limit to the memories you can save in Day One:
• Unlimited photo storage (Premium only)
• Unlimited journals (Premium only)
• Unlimited audio recordings, with dictation and transcription
• Social media with Day One’s Activity Feed and IFTTT integration
SECURE YOUR MEMORIES
Day One Sync provides peace of mind:
• End-to-End Encryption
• Sync across all your devices (Premium only)
• Passcode and Touch ID lock
Multiple ways to capture a moment
• Share extension from Photos, Safari, and more
• Siri Shortcuts make voice commands to trigger audio or photo capture
• Dictate, record audio or check-in from Apple Watch • Activity Feed provides a historical view of your location and photo history to make it easy to catch up on your past week
APPLE WATChl: Always listening and tracking
• Dictate an entry voice to text
• Check-in at to insert a placeholder entry that includes the name of the current place
• Record audio for up to 6 hours per recording
• Watch app works independently from the iPhone
FOCUSED WRITING EXPERIENCE: Day One’s clean, distraction-free interface makes it easy to write down what’s important:
• Powerful rich text formatting with Markdown
• Cross-platform support (mobile, desktop, and watch)
• Draw with Apple Pencil or your finger to illustrate an idea or moment, or write your entry by hand.
RECALL EVERY DETAIL
Metadata automatically records the finer points of life:
• Location & historical visits
• Time and date
• Temperature, weather, moon phase, altitude
• Activity—motion and step count
• Music playing
ORGANIZE YOUR ENTRIES
Finding any memory is fast and easy:
• Powerful search
• Multiple journals (Premium only)
• Favorite entries
• Browse by calendar, timeline, maps, or photos
SHARE YOUR MEMORIES: Our export options make it easy for you share your journals:
• Export to PDF, HTML, JSON
• Print your journals with Day One Book
This app is worth trying for anyone who wants to store memories and events or just somewhere they can express themselves safely and securely.